Reed Township in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1952 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, and the Union Canal series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 40° 23.781′ N, 77° 0.388′ W. Marker is in Reed Township, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on South River Road (Route 147), on the right when traveling east. The marker is next to the railroad tracks, just south of the U.S. 22 & 322, near Clarks Ferry Bridge over the Susquehanna River. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2285 PA-147, Dauphin PA 17018, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clark's Ferry Bridge Company Lightning Guider Sleds (approx. 0.9 miles away); Clark's Ferry Tavern (approx. one mile away); Duncannon Area Schools (approx. 1.3 miles away); Clark's Ferry Bridge (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Railroad in Duncannon (approx. 1.3 miles away); Duncannon Square (approx. 1.3 miles away); Ross McHugh Hood (approx. 1.4 miles away).
Regarding Pennsylvania Canal. The Pennsylvania Canal's Eastern Division, which opened in 1833, ran 43 miles along the east side of the Susquehanna River between Columbia and Duncan's Island at the mouth of the Juniata River. The canal included 14 locks with an average lift of 7.5 feet. The state originally planned a canal of 24 miles running between the Union Canal at Middletown to the Juniata. However, the plan changed in 1828, when the state opted to extend the Eastern Division 19 miles further south to connect with the Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad at Columbia.
Additional keywords. Transportaion, Pennsylvania Canal, Clark's Ferry, Susquehanna, Lykens Valley, Wiconisco Canal
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,821 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on April 5, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 3. submitted on October 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.