Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Bethesda in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Centennial Anchor

October 16, 1987

 
 
The Centennial Anchor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 14, 2013
1. The Centennial Anchor Marker
Inscription.  This centennial anchor, originally from a Coast Guard cutter, rested for many years in front of the Staten Island Marine Hospital where the National Institutes of Health began in 1887 with the founding of the Hygienic Laboratory. It was presented to the NIH on the occasion of the centennial celebration to commemorate a century of science for health and to symbolize the maritime origins of the Public Health Service.
 
Erected 1987 by Public Health Service.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine.
 
Location. 39° 0.033′ N, 77° 6.021′ W. Marker is in Bethesda, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of South Drive and Center Drive, on the right when traveling west on South Drive. The anchor is in the triangle formed by the intersection of South drive and Center Drive on the NIH campus. (Photo ID is required to enter the campus). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31 Center Drive, Bethesda MD 20892, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Louis Stokes Laboratories (about 400 feet
The Centennial Anchor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 14, 2013
2. The Centennial Anchor Marker
away, measured in a direct line); President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated the NIH Bethesda campus on this site, October 31, 1940 (about 600 feet away); Old Spring House & Pool of Bethesda (approx. ¼ mile away); At This Location (approx. ¼ mile away); Tree of Hippocrates (approx. ¼ mile away); National Naval Medical Center in the 1940’s (approx. 0.3 miles away); National Naval Medical Center (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Tree of Hippocrates (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethesda.
 
The Public Health Service Seal image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 14, 2013
3. The Public Health Service Seal
on the plaque
The Centennial Anchor image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 14, 2013
4. The Centennial Anchor
The Centennial Anchor image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 14, 2013
5. The Centennial Anchor
This Institute image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 15, 2013
6. This Institute

This 1938 plaque inside Building 1 tells the story of NIH from its inception 1887 to its move to Bethesda in 1938.

This Institute is dedicated to the investigation of matters pertaining to the Public Health.

In the year 1887 a bacteriological laboratory was established in the Marine Hospital. New York City. Four years later the laboratory was transferred to Washington and quartered with administrative offices at New Jersey Avenue and B Street, Southeast. In 1901 the Congress appropriated $35,000 for a building for the Hygienic Laboratory which was erected as Twenty-fifth and E Streets, Northwest, on land acquired by transfer from the Navy Department. The establishment on that site was enlarged by on building authorized by Congress in 1918, and two buildings authorized in 1930. In the latter year, by act of Congress, the name was changed to The National Institute of Health.

In the year 1935,Mr. and Mrs. Luke I. Wilson of Bethesda, Maryland. donated a tract of land to the United States Government for the use of the National Institute of Health. In the following year funds were allocated for the construction of buildings on this site. Work was begun on the first three buildings of this group in 1938.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 520 times since then and 13 times this year. Last updated on October 7, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 18, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 2, 2020