Capitol Hill in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Alva Belmont House
Of this House
The oldest part is one of the earliest buildings in this region.
Robert Sewall bought the property and enlarged the house in 1799, and rebuilt and greatly altered it after war damage in 1814.
Residence and office of Albert Gallatin secretary of the treasury, 1801 - 1813. Here he directed the financing of the Louisiana Purchase from France (1803), which nearly doubled the then area of the United States. Described in the United States Senate as one of the most historic buildings in Washington in discussion of the bill which preserved it, signed by President Eisenhower, May 29, 1958.
Erected 1959 by The Capitol Hill Restoration Society.
Location. 38° 53.527′ N, 77° 0.221′ W. Marker is in Capitol Hill, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Constitution Avenue Northeast (Alternate U.S. 1) and 2nd Street Northeast, on the right when traveling west. This marker is to the on the south east corner of the Sewall-Belmont house at 144 Constitution Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 2nd Street Northeast, Washington DC 20002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Residence of Albert Gallatin (here, next to this marker); Fiery Destruction (a few steps from this marker); The Sewall-Belmont House & Museum (a few steps from this marker); From June to December, 1917 (a few steps from this marker); Torch of Freedom (within shouting distance of this marker); Cortelyou House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Minuteman Memorial Building (about 600 feet away); The Old Brick Capitol (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Capitol Hill.
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Women
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 617 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 13, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.