Cleveland in Bradley County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Cleveland During the Civil War
Struggle for Control
The first engagements between Confederate and Union troops in Bradley County occurred in the autumn of 1863 as part of the struggle for Chattanooga. The most destructive took place November 24-26 when Union Col. Eli Long’s brigade cut communications and transportation lines to Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg’s position at Missionary Ridge. Long severed railroad lines connecting Chattanooga to Knoxville and Dalton, destroyed the only copper-rolling mill in the South at Cleveland, and forced the Confederates to withdraw from the town. Long’s troops camped at the Cleveland Masonic Female Institute until they were attacked and withdrew to Chattanooga.
The Union victory at the Battle of Missionary Ridge on November
“To take and hold the railroad at or east of Cleveland, Tennessee, I think is as fully as important as the taking and holding of Richmond.” —Abraham Lincoln, June 30, 1862
Civil War Atlas, 1891
Col. Eli Long
Gen. James B. McPherson (1828-1864
Gen. John Sedgwick (1813-1864)
Images courtesy Library of Congress
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #16 Abraham Lincoln, and the Tennessee Civil War Trails series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is June 30, 1861.
Location. 35° 9.47′ N, 84° 52.426′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Inman Street East, Cleveland TN 37311, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. Benjamin Cleveland (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Allen Grammar School (approx. ¼ mile away); Masonic Female Institute (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Oak Grove Male Academy (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); College Hill School (approx. half a mile away); Fort Hill Cemetery (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleveland.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 903 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.