Mosheim in Greene County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Battles of Blue Springs
Fighting on the Same Ground Twice
Union Gen. Alvan C. Gillem’s cavalry force marching from Bulls Gap met a small Confederate force on the same battlefield on August 23, 1864. The Federals engaged Confederate Col. Henry L. Giltner’s 4th Kentucky Cavalry pickets and drove them back two miles toward the ridge south of Greeneville Road, where they encountered more Confederate troops. Giltner’s men repulsed repeated Union attacks. Then William
Lloyd's Official Map of the State of Tennessee, 1863 Courtesy Library of Congress
Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside Courtesy Library of Congress
Gen. Alvan C. Gillem Courtesy Library of Congress
Gen John S. Williams Courtesy Library of Congress
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 10, 1832.
Location. 36° 11.152′ N, 82° 56.068′ W. Marker is in Mosheim, Tennessee, in Greene County. Marker is on West Andrew Johnson Highway (U.S. 11E) west of Emerald Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6766 West Andrew Johnson Highway, Mosheim TN 37818, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Battle of Blue Springs (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blue Springs Church and Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Blue Springs Lutheran Congregation (approx. 1.4 miles away); Carter's Station (approx. 4.1 miles away); Pottertown Bridge Burners (approx. 4˝ miles away); Bridge Burners Monument (approx. 4.6 miles away); Execution of the "Bridge-Burners" (approx. 4.7 miles away); George Clem School (approx. 5˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mosheim.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 21, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 915 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.