Paulsboro in Gloucester County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse
The Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse began operation on the evening of December 31, 1880. The lighthouse is a steel skeletal structure standing 85 feet tall with 112 steps leading from the neoclassical pavilion at the base of the tower to the lantern room. Directly below the lantern room is the watch room, which has a unique wood lined closet that curves along the circular outer wall of the tower. The accompanying illustrations show the light station as it appeared in 1913. Along with the light tower was a keeper’s dwelling, consisting of seven rooms, brick oil house, frame barn and barnyard, cow shed, poultry house and privy situated on 4.8 acres of land. At various times, in the early days, “day marks”, consisting of a four foot diameter iron disk, mounted on a tall staff above the lantern room and slatted frames on each side of the tower, just below the watch room, were added to show above interfering trees at the old Lincoln Park. Today, only the lighthouse remains, although a few of the original bricks, which once were part of the neatly laid walkways connecting the station’s buildings, may still be located around the base
In 1890 the light was described as a fixed red light of the 5th order, 109 feet above sea level and visible for a distance of 8.5 nautical miles. The light would later be changed to a white light with a red sector, which marked the turning point to the next range. In 1917, the light was changed from oil to electric. Today, still an active aid to navigation, it is a fixed red light exhibiting 500,000 candlepower from a 1,000 watt lamp.
The Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse works in conjunction with the Tinicum Front Range Light. This light actually serves two rear range lights, Tinicum and Fort Mifflin Bar Cut Range. It too was activated on December 31, 1880 and is located on the Delaware River bank approximately 5/8 of a mile southwest of the rear light. The accompanying illustration shows the Tinicum Front Range Light Station, which was also referred to as the Billingsport Front Light, as it appeared after the detached tower was built in 1908. Originally, the lights were housed in the dwelling, moved to a detached tower in 1887 due to a change in the shipping channel and moved again to a new tower in 1908 due to another shift in the channel. Today, only the base of the tower remains, upon which is a modern skeletal tower supporting
Erected by New Jersey Lighthouse Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 31, 1878.
Location. 39° 50.852′ N, 75° 14.382′ W. Marker is in Paulsboro, New Jersey, in Gloucester County. Marker can be reached from 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is accessible from the Little League parking lot, off 2nd Street between Billings Avenue and Mantua Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Paulsboro NJ 08066, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Billingsport (approx. half a mile away); The Fort at Billingsport (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dennis Leary & William Barney (approx. 0.6 miles away); Billingsport, New Jersey (approx. 0.6 miles away); Artillery Shed (approx. 2.4 miles away in Pennsylvania); Blacksmith Shop (approx. 2.4 miles away in Pennsylvania); West Sallyport (approx. 2.4 miles away in Pennsylvania); Citadel - 1796 (approx. 2.4 miles away in Pennsylvania). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paulsboro.
More about this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 427 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 27, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.