Near Mill Springs in Wayne County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Near here, January 19, 1862, 4,000 Confederate troops were engaged and defeated by 12,000 Federalists. The Southern leader, General Felix Zollicoffer, was killed in the action. The historic old mill was built in 1840.
Erected by Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 75.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1814.
Location. 36° 55.943′ N, 84° 46.667′ W. Marker is near Mill Springs, Kentucky, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Kentucky Route 1275 and Mill Springs - Gap of the Ridge Road, on the left when traveling west on State Route 1275. The marker is at the fork of the roads. It is extremely rusted to the point that it's barely legible. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Monticello KY 42633, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home, Headquarters, Hospital (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mill Springs and the Civil War (about 500 feet away); The Battle of Mill Springs The Cumberland River (about 500 feet away); The Noble Ellis Saves an Army (approx. 0.8 miles away); The West-Metcalfe House (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named West-Metcalfe House (approx. one mile away); Price's Meadow (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mill Springs.
Regarding Mill Springs. The Battle of Mill Springs took place north of the Cumberland River at Nancy, Kentucky which was then called Logan's Crossroads. Nancy is about 10 miles north of this location.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2011, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. This page has been viewed 738 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on October 31, 2013, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Photos: 1. submitted on June 23, 2011, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. 2. submitted on June 24, 2011, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.