Whitsett in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cedar Hill Foundry and Machine Shop
Erected 1974 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number J-62.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 36° 3.354′ N, 79° 36.187′ W. Marker is in Whitsett, North Carolina, in Guilford County. It is on Rock Creek Diary Road 0.2 miles north of Franz Warner Parkway, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Whitsett NC 27377, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in North Carolina’s Piedmont and specifically in Piedmont Triad. It is also in the American South and specifically in the Upper South. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the original Thirteen Colonies, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Wadsworth Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); McLean House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Athletics (approx. 1.3 miles away); Galen Stone Dormitory & Massachusetts Congregational Cottage (approx. 1.3 miles away); Tea House (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Kimball Hall (approx. 1.3 miles away); Science at Palmer & Stouffer Hall (approx. 1.3 miles away); Devastating Fire (approx. 1.4 miles away).
Other markers no longer nearby. Athletic Field (was approx. 1.2 miles away but has been replaced with another marker now near it); Galen L. Stone Hall 1927 (was approx. 1.3 miles away but has been replaced with another marker now near it); Bell Tower (was approx. 1.3 miles away but has been permanently removed); Kimball Hall (was approx. 1.3 miles away but has been replaced with another marker now near it).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 5, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

