Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Old Fort in Seneca County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Native American Habitation

 
 
Native American Habitation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Abel, November 2, 2013
1. Native American Habitation Marker
Inscription.  In earliest recorded history, the Erie tribe inhabited this land. The Iroquois Confederacy, particularly the Senecas, annihilated the Eries between 1650 and 1656. This area then became the "hunting grounds" of the Senecas and Mohawks. In 1730 Wyandots moved into this Ohio Country south of the great lake. By 1755 the Wyandots shared habitation here with the Senecas and Mohawks and later with remnants of other tribes. This land became a part of a Seneca Reservation by the Treaty of 1817. In 1831 the U.S. government relocated the Seneca tribe to land west of the Mississippi River.
 
Erected by Seneca County Park District.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsNative Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1650.
 
Location. 41° 12.555′ N, 83° 8.687′ W. Marker is near Old Fort, Ohio, in Seneca County. Marker can be reached from County Road 33, 0.2 miles south of Local Road 0145 when traveling east. The sign is along a hiking trail next to a small shelter just east of the parking lot for Steyer Park,
Native American Habitation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Abel, November 2, 2013
2. Native American Habitation Marker
The marker sits along the Shawnee Loop Trail, which follows the banks of the Sandusky River.
Click or scan to see
this page online
a part of the Seneca County Park District. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Old Fort OH 44861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Seneca (approx. 1.2 miles away); to Brady's Island / to Battle Island (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Seneca - Harrison Trail (approx. 2 miles away); Mull Covered Bridge / Covered Bridges (approx. 4.1 miles away); Republic Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away); Camp Noble (approx. 6.3 miles away); Tiffin Train Depot / Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad (approx. 6˝ miles away); Camp Ball (approx. 6.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. The Seneca Reservation. An entry from the book "Twentieth Century History of Sandusky County, Ohio and Representative Citizens." (Submitted on November 5, 2013, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio.) 

2. Story Told by Judge Welsh. Excerpt from "And Then They Went West. Know Your Ohio." (Submitted on November 5, 2013, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio.) 
 
Native American Habitation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Abel, November 2, 2013
3. Native American Habitation Marker
The parking lot for Steyer Park and the County Road 33 bridge over the Sandusky River can be seen to the west.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2013, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. This page has been viewed 569 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 5, 2013, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=70010

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 19, 2021