Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fayetteville in Cumberland County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Sandford House

Barracks for Union Troops

— Carolinas Campaign —

 
 
The Sandford House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 25, 2013
1. The Sandford House Marker
Inscription.  Duncan McLeran constructed this two-story Federal-style dwelling in 1797. In 1820, the property was sold and remodeled to accommodate the Bank of the United States, the first federal bank in North Carolina. The house is named for John Sanford, a cashier there who purchased the property for a residence for his family in 1832 after the bank closed. According to local tradition, the residence was used as a barracks for Union troops during Gen. William T. Sherman’s occupation of Fayetteville in March 1865. After the war, Capt. John E. P. Daingerfield bought the property.

Daingerfield, who had been clerk at the Harpers Ferry arsenal in 1859 during John Brown’s Raid, came here when munitions and equipment were transferred to the Fayetteville Arsenal from Harpers Ferry in 1861. Maj. John C. Booth, commanding officer at the Fayetteville Arsenal, appointed him military storekeeper and paymaster. Daingerfield served in the 2nd Battalion Local Defense Troops, commonly referred to as the Arsenal Guard, and occupied the house with his wife Matilda and his four children. His son Elliott Daingerfield (1859-1932) was a well-known artist renowned
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
for his landscapes and religious paintings. He left Fayetteville at age 21 to study in New York and Europe, later taught in Philadelphia, and summered for many years at Blowing Rock, N.C.

The Daingerfield family sold the Sandford House about 1897. Since 1945, the Fayetteville Woman’s Club has owned and maintained the building, using it for meetings and social functions. The club also maintains the Baker-Haigh-Nimocks House (ca. 1804) and the Oval Ballroom (ca. 1830), with generous assistance from the National Society of Colonial Dames.

(captions)
(lower left) Fayetteville Arsenal during Capt. Daingerfield’s tenure, conjectural plan by Jack Riggin

(center) Sanford House, 1948

(lower right) “Elliott Daingerfield,” 1890 and “Carolina Sunlight,” circa 1915 — Morris Museum of Art, Augusta, Georgia
 
Erected by Civil War Trails.
 
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1865.
 
Location. 35° 2.926′ N, 78° 52.699′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, North Carolina, in Cumberland County. Memorial is on Dick Street south of Halliday Street
The Sandford House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 25, 2013
2. The Sandford House Marker
, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 229 Dick Street, Fayetteville NC 28301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bank of the United States (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles W. Chesnutt (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lafayette (approx. 0.2 miles away); Liberty Point (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Liberty Point Declaration of Independence (approx. ¼ mile away); Cross Creek (approx. ¼ mile away); Charter of the University of N. C. (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
 
The Sandford House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 25, 2013
3. The Sandford House
Heritage Square image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, September 25, 2013
4. Heritage Square
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 791 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 23, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=70374

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 29, 2024