Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Natchez in Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation

 
 
Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation Marker (side 1) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lynn Waldon
1. Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation Marker (side 1)
Inscription.  
(side 1)
This c. 1836 center hall Creole cottage is of poteaux sur sole, (hand-hewn pegged cypress sills on brick piers) and bousillage construction on the 1780s land grant to Claude Pierre Thomas Metoyer. The lower 68 acres given to a free woman of color, Coincoin, mother to his 10 Franco-African children, genesis to Isle Brevelle and builders of Melrose Plantation and St. Augustine Church. Pierre and his French wife, Marie Therese Buard, had three children who intermarried with the Prudhomme & Lambre families, genesis to the Cote Joyeuse. Pierre had 103 enslaved workers on this plantation in 1810. Pierre's granddaughter, Ophelia Prudhomme, acquired the land from her parents and married (twice widowed) the two sons of Gen. Jean Baptiste Plauche of the Battle of New Orleans. New Orleans cotton broker JB Plauche & Co. doing business with the
(Continued on other side)

(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
Prudhomme families and Magnolia Plantation. Her siblings owned Beau Fort, Cedar Bend, Cherokee and Oaklawn Plantations. Her grandfather Emmanuel Prudhomme built Oakland.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Union and Confederate troops passed through the Old Plauche Place during the 1864 Red River Campaign, ascending March 30 and descending April 21 burning her baled cotton and gins, and removing her property. 78 of the 81 enslaved residents left with the advancing, and later retreating, Union troops. Her son Andrew Jackson Plauche and wife Estelle Ducournau left the place to the Ducournau family. As directed in the will of Andrew Jackson Plauche, Joe Plauche, a southern planter of color was a resident of the famed plantation from 1900 to 1946 employing returning veterans of World War I. In 1963 owner Jo Bryan Ducournau, whose father commissioned the “Good Darky” statue, renamed the place “Hope”.
 
Erected by The Albert Family.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is March 30, 1914.
 
Location. 31° 40.455′ N, 93° 1.32′ W. Marker is near Natchez, Louisiana, in Natchitoches Parish. Marker is on State Highway 494, 0.3 miles north of Cedar Bend Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Natchez LA 71456, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Magnolia Plantation (approx. 1.2 miles away); Oakland Plantation (approx.
Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation Marker (side 2) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lynn Waldon
2. Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation Marker (side 2)
1.2 miles away); Cane River Creole (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hollywood Comes to Oakland Plantation (approx. 1.2 miles away); A French Connection (approx. 1.3 miles away); Meet "Natchez" the Oakland Mule (approx. 1.3 miles away); Creole Architecture (approx. 1.3 miles away); Working Iron (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 3, 2017
3. Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2013, by Mike Waldon of Lafayette, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 1,411 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 7, 2013, by Mike Waldon of Lafayette, Louisiana.   3. submitted on July 19, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=70645

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024