Walterboro in Colleton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bethel Presbyterian Church
This church, originally located at Jacksonboro, was founded in 1728 by Rev. Archibald Stobo (d.1741), father of the Presbyterian church in S.C. The first building at Jacksonboro was replaced in 1746 by a "hansome sanctuary" that stood until it was destroyed by a forest fire in 1886. A summer chapel built on this site in 1821 was a branch of the Jacksonboro church.
By 1830s the Walterboro church became the main sanctuary under the leadership of Rev. Edward Palmer (1788-1882), minister here 1827-32, 1844-45, and 1862-74. A second frame church, built here in 1860-61, was destroyed by a tornado in 1879. It was replaced by another frame church in 1880, which burned in 1966. The present brick sanctuary, the fourth on this site, was built in 1969.
Erected 2002 by the Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society. (Marker Number 15-19.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 403 Church Street, Walterboro SC 29488, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hickory Valley (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Walterborough Library Society (about 500 feet away); Walterborough Academy (approx. ¼ mile away); Colleton County Veterans War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Colleton County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away); Confederate Monument (approx. half a mile away); Walterboro (approx. half a mile away); Walterboro Jail (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Walterboro.
Regarding Bethel Presbyterian Church. Paul Walter ( co-founder of Walterboro ) built the Bethel Presbyterian Church on what became known as "Walter Hill."
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,548 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 15, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.