Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chatham in Chatham-Kent, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
 

Chatham Blockhouse

— 1794 —

 
 
Chatham Blockhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 23, 2013
1. Chatham Blockhouse Marker
Inscription.  On this site a blockhouse was constructed in 1794 by order of Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe. He planned to establish here a small naval arsenal which would form a link in the defences of Upper Canada's western frontier and also draw the Indian trade from Detroit. The post was garrisoned by a detachment of the Queen's Rangers, and two gunboats were built; but by 1797 it was abandoned. In 1798 the province's Administrator, Peter Russell, had the blockhouse moved to Sandwich to serve as the Western District's court-house and gaol.
 
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraForts and CastlesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1794.
 
Location. 42° 24.392′ N, 82° 11.024′ W. Marker is in Chatham, Ontario, in Chatham-Kent. Marker can be reached from the intersection of William Street North and Murray Street, on the left when traveling north. The historical marker is located in Chatham, upstream of the fork in the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Thames River, in Tecumseh Park, just north of the 6th Street footbridge, situated along a park walkway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 89 William Street North, Chatham ON N7M 4V1, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tecumseh (here, next to this marker); The Forks (within shouting distance of this marker); Skirmish at the Forks (within shouting distance of this marker); British Encampment: Forks of the Thames (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Skirmish at the Forks (within shouting distance of this marker); Casualties of the Skirmish (within shouting distance of this marker); Chatham Armoury (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Kent County Court House (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chatham.
 
Chatham Blockhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 23, 2013
2. Chatham Blockhouse Marker
View, looking west, of the historical marker in the right foreground, and of the walkway leading to the forks of the Thames River in the left/center background.
Chatham Blockhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 23, 2013
3. Chatham Blockhouse Marker
View of the historical marker to the left of a marker featuring information regarding "Tecumseh."
Chatham Blockhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 23, 2013
4. Chatham Blockhouse Marker
View, looking south, of the historical marker, with a distant view of the 6th Street footbridge in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 621 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 17, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=71313

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024