Antigua Guatemala in Municipality of Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepéquez, Guatemala
Palace of the Captaincy General
Palacio de los Capitanes Generales
Palacio de los Capitanes Generales del Reyno de Goathemala
Durante 231 años esta ciudad fue la metropoli de Centro America
Palace of the Captaincy General of the Kingdom of Goathemala
During 231 years this city was the metropolis of Central America
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Buildings.
Location. 14° 33.375′ N, 90° 44.013′ W. Marker is in Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepéquez, in Municipality of Antigua Guatemala. This marker is found in the main corredor of the Palace of the Captaincy General. The street in front of the Palace is blocked off to vehicle traffic so it is only visible to pedestrians. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5ta Calle Poniente between 4ta and 5ta Avenidas, Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepéquez 03001, Guatemala. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sculptor Quirio Cataño (within shouting distance of this marker); The Founding of Santiago de Guatemala (within shouting distance of this marker); California Avocado Society Thanks Guatemala (within The Fountain of Antigua's Central Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Cathedral of Antigua Guatemala (within shouting distance of this marker); Adrian Recinos Born in this House (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Pedro Cortés y Larraz (about 90 meters away); The Cathedral of Santiago de Guatemala (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Antigua Guatemala.
Regarding Palace of the Captaincy General. The Palace of the Captaincy General was initially constructed in 1558, 15 years after the designation of Santiago de los Caballeros as the capital of Guatemala in 1543. The Palace was used as the administrative and military headquarters for the region. After the 1773 earthquake and the moving of the capital to present-day Guatemala City, the Palace was emptied of most of its infrastructure and fell into disuse. The Palace was again used as a jail and police headquarters for the department during the 1900s until finally being renovated in 2010.
The marker was likely mounted here in 1924 as part of the 400th anniversary celebrations of the
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2014, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 592 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 17, 2014, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.