New Hope in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Vienna (New Hope)
Originally known as Cloud's Town, this community was incorporated in 1832 as Vienna. It prospered as a market town before the Civil War. On May 29, 1864, the 12th Indiana Cavalry, commanded by Lt. Col. Alfred Reed, seized the town. They built a stockade and named it for General Peter J. Osterhaus. The hit-and-run tactics of Confederate Col. Lemuel Mead and Lt. Col. Milus E. (Bushwhacker) Johnston caused Union officers to retaliate by burning Vienna to the ground on December 15, 1864. Only the Masonic Lodge and the Post Office/Tavern remained. By 1883, Vienna was back to is pre-war size and was reincorporated as New Hope.
Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1867.
Location. 34° 32.192′ N, 86° 23.665′ W. Marker is in New Hope, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on Main Drive (Old Highway 431) south Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Hope AL 35760, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Deposit Trail (a few steps from this marker); New Hope Cemetery / Town of New Hope (approx. 0.3 miles away); Walnut Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hayden Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); Poplar Ridge School (approx. 3.9 miles away); Whitaker Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Bethel Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); Grant, Alabama: A Scenic Mountain Town (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Hope.
1. Civil War action in Vienna
"The next 12th Cavalry skirmish of which there is record occurred on July 8, 1864 near Vienna, Alabama involving mostly "B" and "C" companies. This report is from Lieut. Col. Alfred Reed, commanding a detachment of Twelfth Indiana Cavalry at Vienna to Col. Edward Anderson at Huntsville: "The detachment under my command yesterday morning separated about 5 miles north of Owen's Mills, on Flint River, Company C going east to J.C. Drake's, who is father to three of Johnson's gang; thence we went south to Vienna;
Excerpt from Ohio State University "The History Of the 12th Indiana Cavalry."
— Submitted July 9, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 19, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 768 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 19, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.