Pintlala in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School
Pintlala Grange Hall
The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was organized in 1867 to provide economic, social and cultural improvements for farmers and their families. Pintlala's Grange Hall was erected circa 1875 on land adjacent to this marker. By the 1890s the popularity of the Grange began to wane. On July 21-23, 1891 the last meeting of the Alabama Granges took place in Pintlala. The Federal Land Bank was organized as the National Farm Loan Association of Pintlala on August 17, 1917. Grange Hall was the site of their regular meetings.
Grange Hall School
From circa 1880 to 1922 school was held in one room of Grange Hall for seven months a year. Pintlala School was built and opened in 1923 and the Board of Education purchased the Grange property. The building was used for home economics classes and, from 1931 to 1952, served as home for Pintlala School caretakers. Over the years it was site of community dances, a meeting place for Boy and Girl Scouts, and the Pintlala Baptist Church (1960). Vacant and deteriorating, the building was given
Erected 2003 by the Alabama Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1862.
Location. 32° 10.571′ N, 86° 22.173′ W. Marker is in Pintlala, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Federal Road (County Route 24) 0.1 miles west of Mobile Highway (U.S. 31), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 Federal Road, Hope Hull AL 36043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pintlala School (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Federal Road, 1805, (about 700 feet away); The Bethel Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern (approx. one mile away); Tankersley Rosenwald School (approx. 2½ miles away); Abner McGehee / Early Alabama Entrepreneur (approx. 5.6 miles away); Teague Road (approx. 7.1 miles away); Lynching in America / Lynching in Letohatchee (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pintlala.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 744 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 21, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.