San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Embarcadero Freeway
The first proposal for an elevated Embarcadero roadway appeared in 1927 when the Regional Planning Association published their plan for an aviation platform on the waterfront with a two-tier highway carrying stacked traffic from China Basin to Fisherman’s Wharf. It was rejected as unsightly. By 1950 state highway engineers called for a fast elevated superhighway connected between the Bay Bridge and the Golden Gate, with the Central Freeway extended through the Panhandle of Golden Gate Park. Embattled San Franciscans would have none of it, but it was determined that they must have some of it. The “Freeway to Nowhere” opened for automobiles in 1956 with a sawed off stub of Broadway: it had stopped short. “When this prime piece of ghastly goofrey opened – it caused traffic jams,” editorialized the Chronicle, “There is nothing wrong that a thorough wreaking job can’t cure.”
It’s A Sow’s Ear For All That
Christened “The Dambarcadero” by Herb Caen. Anyone caught in the endless
It Took The 1989 Earthquake To Do It
If there was any fear worse than you car skidding off the broken concrete edge of the Bay Bridge on October 17, 1989, it was the sight of crumpled freeways flattening cars with passengers beneath tons of cement and steel. For more than two years the underside of the Embarcadero Freeway stood braced with sturdy wood scaffolding. Why not tear it down now? Once again anti-freeway warriors protested, loudly, and with effect. Architectural critic, Allan Temko, in the Chronicle, April 12, 1990: “If
Reunite San Francisco With The Bay
Satisfying from any angle, people gathered along the waterfront to watch the chunks of concrete and steel rods collapse in clouds of pulverized cement. The 1989 earthquake cracked freeways and mandated funds to fix or demolish the double-decker freeway. From February 1991 to January 1992 – as each section collapsed, light and space and the breadth of view of San Francisco Bay returned to the people. “Freeway warriors” of the 1960’s spoke up again in 1990 when determined merchants pushed for rebuilding. The voice of Supervisor Susan Bierman, joined with 1960 Supervisor Jack Morrison, and Rudy Nothenberg, Chief Administrative Officer to reunite the city with the bay. Joined by Jean Kortum on behalf of San Francisco Tomorrow, these Freeway Warriors, along with many others, had kept the Central Freeway out of the park and stopped the Embarcadero Freeway at Broadway
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1992.
Location. 37° 47.786′ N, 122° 23.734′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker is at the intersection of Embarcadero and Washington Street, on the right when traveling south on Embarcadero. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 398 Embarcadero, San Francisco CA 94105, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Captain Leidesdorff (within shouting distance of this marker); Herb Caen Way (within shouting distance of this marker); Piers 1½, 3 & 5 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Abraham Lincoln Brigade (about 400 feet away); The River Lines (about 400 feet away); Pier 1, Working Waterfront: Design and Construction (about 400 feet away); Pier 1, Working Waterfront: Ferry Service (about 600 feet away); Bustle of the City (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
Also see . . . Embarcadero Freeway - Preservation Institute. In 1986, San Francisco voters rejected the Board of Supervisors’ plan to tear down the Embarcadero Freeway, after a campaign where opponents said over and over that removing the freeway would cause gridlock. At the time, it seemed (Submitted on January 23, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 887 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 23, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.