Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lampasas in Lampasas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Cook Cemetery

 
 
Cook Cemetery Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, December 1, 2013
1. Cook Cemetery Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  This cemetery, Lampasas' oldest, was established as a pioneer community graveyard in the mid-1850s. The first marked burial here was that of Rebecca Hughes in 1854. The cemetery is named after Arkansas natives William M. and Cynthia Cook who moved to Texas about 1856 and bought the land containing this graveyard in 1861. No recorded burials occurred here after that of J. S. Brown (d. 1873), due, it is believed, to major flooding here in 1873. The cemetery has been altered by highway and business development. It was deeded to the Lampasas County Historical Commission in 1978.
 
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1048.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
 
Location. 31° 3.412′ N, 98° 10.514′ W. Marker is in Lampasas, Texas, in Lampasas County. Marker is at the intersection of Central Texas Expressway (U.S. 190) and South Western Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Central Texas Expressway. Located in the southwest corner of a shopping
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Plum Street, Lampasas TX 76550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The 1957 Flood (approx. 0.3 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hostess House (approx. half a mile away); Hancock Springs Bathhouse (approx. half a mile away); Hancock Springs (approx. half a mile away); Matt and Rebecca Smith House (approx. half a mile away); Hart House (approx. half a mile away); St. Mary's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lampasas.
 
Cook Cemetery with Marker visible in the center of the photo image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, December 1, 2013
2. Cook Cemetery with Marker visible in the center of the photo
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,028 times since then and 138 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 2, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=71561

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024