Newton in Dale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Town on the Hill 1834 / Third County Seat of Dale County
Town on the Hill - 1843
Newton was hub of Dale County activities from 1843 until 1870. During War Between the States (1861-1865), Newton was center of recruiting, including the Home Guards. In March 1865, local militia repulsed attack by band of irregulars. Board of Physicians established 1856 to issue licenses. The Southern Star first published here in 1867. Newton was port for river boats (until railroad built in 1890). Home of Killebrew's Mill, Kill Kare Kamp, Methodist Academy, and Baptist Collegiate Institute (operating 1898-1929).
Third County Seat of Dale County
In 1841 the west half of Dale County became Coffee County, thereby making the county seat at Daleville off-center. Five commissioners were appointed and they selected this site south of the Choctawhatchee River, which the legislature named “Newton” and designated the county seat on February 9, 1843. In this “new town” a wooden courthouse and a log jail were built. The courthouse burned March 22, 1869, and the county seat was changed to Ozark in 1870.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1826.
Location. 31° 20.114′ N, 85° 36.255′ W. Marker is in Newton, Alabama, in Dale County. Marker is at the intersection of College Street (Alabama Route 134) and Queen Street, on the right when traveling south on College Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newton AL 36352, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newton Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Baptist Collegiate Institute (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Hanging of Bill Sketoe (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Block House/River Port - Fort - Ferry (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Mack M. Matthews School (approx. 3.6 miles away); Daleville, Alabama (approx. 7.4 miles away); D. A. Smith High School/ Professor D. A. Smith, Principal (approx. 8˝ miles away); Ozark Baptist Church/Church Pastors (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 913 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 3, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.