Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palmetto Bay in Miami-Dade County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Town of Peters

 
 
The Town of Peters Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Marsha A. Matson, May 4, 2014
1. The Town of Peters Marker
Inscription.  The town of Peters, no longer recognized, was named after the “Tomato King,” Thomas J. Peters, who moved to this area in 1895. His tomato growing and packing business was the area's first million dollar enterprise and Peters was the area's first “company town.” The center of the town of Peters was situated about three blocks south of here on the west side of US1, in the vicinity of Quail Roost Drive. The Peters' residence was located east of US1, in the area now known as Bel Aire. Unfortunately, all remnants of the town of Peters were lost in Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

Thomas J. Peters and his family were major contributors to the founding of the Perrine-Peters United Methodist Church. The church was named for the settlements founded by the Perrine and Peters families. Dr. Henry Perrine and his family received the original grant for the land in 1838, founding what is still known as the town of Perrine. In 1916, the first sanctuary was built on the Perrine-Peters border, east of the railroad tracks. This structure was destroyed in the 1926 hurricane. Eventually outgrowing its subsequent facilities, the congregation
The Town of Peters Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Marsha A. Matson, May 4, 2014
2. The Town of Peters Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
broke ground for the present church in 1958. This marker was presented by the extended Peters family on the centennial of the Perrine-Peters United Methodist Church, March 26, 2000.
 
Erected 2000 by The Historical Association of Southern Florida.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureChurches & ReligionIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is March 26, 2000.
 
Location. 25° 36.03′ N, 80° 21.181′ W. Marker is in Palmetto Bay, Florida, in Miami-Dade County. Marker is at the intersection of South Dixie Highway (U.S. 1) and SW 183rd Street, on the right when traveling north on South Dixie Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18301 S Dixie Hwy, Miami FL 33157, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Perrine Land Grant (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Cutler Road (approx. 2.3 miles away); Deering Estate (approx. 3 miles away); Chinese Bridge (approx. 3.1 miles away); Naval Air Station Richmond (approx. 3.2 miles away); Ferdinand Magellan (approx. 3.2 miles away); Miami Serpentarium (approx. 3.9 miles away); Special Agent Jerry Dove, Special Agent Benjamin Grogan (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmetto Bay.
 
Marker under tree at U.S. 1 (S. Dixie Highway) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Marsha A. Matson, May 4, 2014
3. Marker under tree at U.S. 1 (S. Dixie Highway)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 10, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 888 times since then and 132 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 4, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=71663

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Nov. 26, 2022