Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Atlas District in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Enterprising Families

Hub, Home, Heart

 

— Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —

 
Enterprising Families Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
1. Enterprising Families Marker
Inscription.  The small scale and low rents of H Street's oldest buildings have lured waves of immigrant entrepreneurs since the buildings were new in the 1880s. By 1930, alongside Greek, Italian, Irish, and other immigrant-owned shops, at least 75 Jewish-owned businesses operated on H Street.

Abe and Anna Shulman ran a dry goods store and lived at 1237 H, with a kitchen in back and living quarters upstairs. Two of their five children remained on H Street as adults: Israel, a dentist, and Fred, who sold baby furniture and toys. Known as the "Queen of H Street," Anna founded the Hebrew Sheltering Society to house recent imigrants, and led the Sisterhood, a women's aid society, for Ezras Israel Synagogue at Eighth and I Streets. The Shulmans and most of their Jewish neighbors had emigrated from Russia around 1900.

In the 1950s former boxer Eddie Leonard brought sandwiches to H Street. A decade later Chuck Brown, the future "Godfather of Go-Go," bought his first guitar at Chuck and Marge Levin's music store at 1237 H Street. In 1968, after looters destroyed their store, the Levins moved to Wheaton, Maryland, opening Chuck Levin's Washington
Shops and the "Queen of H Street" image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
2. Shops and the "Queen of H Street"
Upper Left: Esther Love, Edith Abraham, Tom (the shoemaker) and owner Joseph Love at Reliable Footware, around 1921.

Upper Right: Jacob and Sadie Fischer ran Fischer Grocery at 1379 H St. in the 1920s.

Lower Center: "Queen of H Street" Anna Shulman, second from right, with her husband Abraham and children, from left, Lorraine, Ethel, Israel (Sonny), Fred, and May, around 1937.
Music Center.

At 1238 H is the former office of Granville Moore, M.D., a native Washingtonian, World War II veteran (Buffalo Soldier), Howard University faculty member, and civil rights activist who practiced medicine here for more than 50 years. Former patients also recollect how Dr. Moore (1916-2003) made house calls and treated the ill free of charge two days a week.
 
Erected 2012 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 13.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Buffalo Soldiers, the Greater H Street Heritage Trail, and the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series lists.
 
Location. 38° 54.018′ N, 76° 59.331′ W. Marker is in the Atlas District in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is at the intersection of H Street Northeast and 13th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling east on H Street Northeast. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1237 H Street Northeast, Washington DC 20002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Culture and Commerce (within shouting distance of this marker); District of Columbia Fire Department (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mediterranean Imports (about 800 feet away); The Changing Faces of H Street
Dr. Granville Moore image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
3. Dr. Granville Moore
Dr. Granville Moore treating a patient at Freedmen's Hospital, left, and with his children Judith and Granville, Jr., 1952.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Life on H Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Hub (approx. ¼ mile away); Brickyards to Buildings (approx. 0.3 miles away); The City Woman (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlas District.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail
 
Sandwich Shop and Music Store image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
4. Sandwich Shop and Music Store
Left: Gallaudet students enjoy a meal at Eddie Leonard's Sandwich Shops at 1251 H St., 1950s.

Right: Chuck and Marge Levin with a customer in their music store, 1960s.
Back of Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
5. Back of Marker
Gilbert's Bike Shop image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
6. Gilbert's Bike Shop
Among the small Jewish-owned H Street businesses of the 1920s was Gilbert's Bike Shop.
Map of the H Street Heritage Trail image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
7. Map of the H Street Heritage Trail
Enterprising Families Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
8. Enterprising Families Marker
H Street Neighborhood Today image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
9. H Street Neighborhood Today
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 402 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on February 11, 2014, by A. Taylor of Laurel, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 7, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 25, 2020