Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hamilton in Hamilton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hamilton County, C.S.A.

 
 
Hamilton County, C.S.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark
1. Hamilton County, C.S.A. Marker
Inscription.  Created and organized in 1858. By 1860 had 489 people in 78 families from 15 states. Vote in 1861 was 86-1 in favor of secession. 60 farmers were organized as Hamilton County Minutemen, a unit of part-time soldiers. Others joined Confederate regiments and fought at Vicksburg, Shiloh and other memorable battles.

During the Civil War, travel was on horseback and hauling by ox wagon. Homes were of logs split from timber along creeks and rivers. About half an acre a day was farmed, with homemade wooden tools. Corn and wheat were raised. On burned-over ground each family grew its own tobacco, hanging the leaves inside the living room to dry. Diet was mostly beef, cornbread and coffee substitutes. Homes were lighted by wicks stuck into tallow-filled eggshells.

With few men on hand to brand and herd, feuds rose over thefts and straying cattle. In differences over war issues, 2 men fled to Mexico to join Federals. Later they returned, trying to recruit neighbors into a unit disloyal to Texas, to welcome planned Federal invasion. Further trouble came from many Confederate deserters who took refuge along the streams and lived by
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
theft and violence. (1965)
 
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2349.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
 
Location. 31° 48.944′ N, 98° 6.868′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Texas, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of American Legion Highway (U.S. 281) and County Route 203, on the right when traveling north on American Legion Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hamilton TX 76531, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Olin Baptist Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Andrew Miller (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Hamilton County (approx. 6.6 miles away); Ann Whitney (approx. 7.2 miles away); William Thatcher Baker (approx. 7.3 miles away); Frederick Browder Gentry (approx. 7.3 miles away); a different marker also named Ann Whitney (approx. 7.3 miles away); John J. ("Jack") Durham (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
 
Hamilton County, C.S.A. Marker vicinity image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, November 29, 2014
2. Hamilton County, C.S.A. Marker vicinity
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,847 times since then and 188 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 12, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=71706

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024