Abbeville in Henry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The First Baptist Church of Abbeville/Abbeville Pioneer Cemetery
This church was founded in 1834 as a mission of the Lawrenceville Baptist Church. Reverend Jeremiah Campbell was one of the early pastors. Later meetings were held in the lower story of the old wooden Abbeville Methodist Church. In 1847, two acres were deeded here by the Town of Abbeville to deacons Benjamin Lansdale and William Nance for use by the Baptist Church at Abbeville. The one-room church was part of the Salem Association until 1850, when the church joined the Judson Missionary Baptist Association during a Holy War over missions. A brick church was built in 1903. This church is the oldest member of the Judson Association.
The adjoining cemetery is the oldest of three cemeteries owned by the City of Abbeville. The oldest marker birth date is Richard Hudspeth, 1776. The oldest marker burial date is Mary B. Gordon, 1841. In 1898, J. A. Clendinen sold an acre to the City of Abbeville Graveyard Committee for $125. John B. Ward provided a white picket fence
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the Henry County Historical Group.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
Location. 31° 34.075′ N, 85° 14.979′ W. Marker is in Abbeville, Alabama, in Henry County. Located at end of church driveway accessed from East College. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Columbia Road, Abbeville AL 36310, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bethune-Kennedy House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Methodist Episcopal Church, South (about 600 feet away); The Southeast Alabama Agricultural School / First Free Secondary School in Alabama (about 800 feet away); Henry, The Mother County (approx. ¼ mile away); A County Older Than the State (approx. ¼ mile away); In Honor of William Calvin Oates (approx. ¼ mile Abbeville/Seven Flags and an Arrow Over Abbeville (approx. ¼ mile away); Abbeville Southern Railroad / Pelham House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abbeville.
Also see . . . Abbeville First Baptist Church. Church blog (Submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 698 times since then and 124 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.