Newville in Henry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Newville Baptist Church / Newville Baptist Church Cemetery
A small Baptist congregation met under a brush arbor in 1876, near what later became the village of Wells which grew into the town of Newville, Alabama. A log church called Center was erected in 1881; it stood about 500 yards from the present church. Sunday School was organized in 1890. Farmer's Union Grange Hall, a two story building, was later constructed -- Center Church held meetings on the first floor. Center became the Newville Baptist Church in 1911. Grange Hall was torn down and a new frame church was built in 1913. The present brick church was built in 1923. Additions were added in 1951 and 1958.
James M. and Catherine Wells donated one half acre of land in 1887, for the site of the church and cemetery. The oldest known grave is William Y. Kirkland who died April 10, 1891. The church paid W. M. Harris fifty dollars in 1901 for two and one-half acres of land for the cemetery. In 1947, burial spaces were sold for 25 cents a square foot. Nancy Price gave the church
Erected 2005 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, The Henry County Historical Group and Friends of Newville Baptist Church and Cemetery.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1979.
Location. 31° 25.39′ N, 85° 20.286′ W. Marker is in Newville, Alabama, in Henry County. Marker is on West Columbia Road, 0.2 miles east of County Road 7, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 North Railroad Street, Newville AL 36353, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newville, Alabama / Newville Pioneers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newville High School / Newville Rosenwald School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Union Springs Missionary Baptist Church And Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Piney Grove Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Head's Land Yielded Fruits of Success (approx. 4.9 miles away); Headland World War I Monument (approx. Headland, Alabama / Headland Public Square (approx. 4.9 miles away); Henry County Confederate Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 670 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.