San Angelo in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
The Presbytery of Central Texas sent the Rev. J. H. Zivley to San Angelo in 1885 to organize a church here. Seven communicants met with Zivley in the Methodist church building and founded the Southern Presbyterian Church of San Angelo. They included Mrs. A. J. Baker, Mrs. E. G.Burt, Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Burt, Mr. and Mrs. J. N. P. Cramer, and Mrs. Sally Hancock.
By 1886 the membership had grown to 27, and this land at the corner of Irving and College Streets was purchased for $500. The first sanctuary was designed by architect Oscar Ruffini and finished in 1887. The Sunday School was instituted in the late 1890s with J. R. Burt as the first superintendent. Shortly after, the Ladies' Aid Society was formed with Mrs. A. J. Baker as its first president.
Construction of the present brick sanctuary began in 1906 and was completed in 1908. In that year a water-powered organ (since converted to electricity) was ordered from St. Louis by the Ladies' Aid Society. The sanctuary was dedicated in 1916.
An education building was built in 1950, and the Fellowship Hall was completed in 1956. During its first 100 years, the
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.
has been listed in the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1821.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 31° 27.855′ N, 100° 26.358′ W. Marker is in San Angelo, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is at the intersection of Irving Street and College Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Irving Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 32 North Irving Street, San Angelo TX 76903, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The San Angelo Standard (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles B. Metcalfe (about 700 feet away); Tom Green County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Original Tom Green County (about 700 feet away); Veterans MemorialEmmanuel Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chadwick Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Angelo.
Also see . . .
1. First Presbyterian Church of San Angelo. (Submitted on February 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. First Presbyterian Church of San Angelo on Facebook. (Submitted on February 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 462 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.