Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Angelo in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Charles B. Metcalfe

(May 18, 1856 - Dec. 10, 1941)

— Tom Green County Statesman —

 
 
Charles B. Metcalfe Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., April 9, 2014
1. Charles B. Metcalfe Marker
Inscription.  

Sponsor of 1918 measure to give Texas women right to vote.

Born in Lawrence County, Tenn. Came to Texas 1872. Helped map town site of Ben Ficklin, first county seat, Tom Green County.

Grew first bale of cotton and installed first (water-powered) cotton gin in county; was one of first ranchers to work for law and order, in fencing rangeland.

County Commissioner 6 years. Served 1915-1919 in Legislature of Texas. There his amendment to 1918 election bill gave vote in primaries to women of Texas three years before the national adoption of woman's suffrage.
 
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee and Business and Professional Women's Club of San Angelo. (Marker Number 810.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureGovernment & PoliticsIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1918.
 
Location. 31° 27.747′ N, 100° 26.338′ W. Marker is in San Angelo, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is on Irving Street
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
north of Beauregard Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Marker is on the county courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 West Beauregard Avenue, San Angelo TX 76903, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tom Green County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Tom Green County (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The San Angelo Standard (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crew of "Abbot 27" (about 400 feet away); Chadwick Building (about 600 feet away); Myers Drug (about 600 feet away); Emmanuel Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Angelo.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .
1. Charles B. Metcalfe. (Submitted on February 24, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Tom Green County, Texas. (Submitted on February 24, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Charles B. Metcalfe Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., April 9, 2014
2. Charles B. Metcalfe Marker
County courthouse in background
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 558 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 24, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=71967

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024