San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Fray Francisco Palou, O.F.M.
c. 1722 – 1789
First historian of California.
Erected 1938 by California Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion.
Location. 37° 45.85′ N, 122° 25.607′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker can be reached from Dolores Street near 16th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 320 Dolores Street, San Francisco CA 94110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Misión San Francisco de Asís (a few steps from this marker); La Misión San Francisco de Asís (a few steps from this marker); El Camino Real (a few steps from this Guillermo Granizo (within shouting distance of this marker); The Frank J. Portman Memorial Diorama (within shouting distance of this marker); Elixir (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Coast Miwok (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Original Mission Dolores Chapel and Dolores Lagoon / Rammaytush (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
More about this marker. This marker is located in the Mission Dolores cemetery mounted on the south mission wall.
Also see . . . Fray Francisco Palou - Encyclopedia of San Francisco. Assigned to the Moraga expedition, Palóu and Fray Benito Cambón arrived with colonists at the vicinity of Laguna y Arroyo de los Dolores on June 27, 1776. Moraga ordered the building of an open-air chapel (enramada) and on June 29, 1776, the first Mass was celebrated along the shores of the now vanished Laguna Dolores. Some look upon this date as the birthday of San Francisco. (Submitted on March 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 354 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.