Long Key in Monroe County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Long Key Fishing Club
Henry M. Flagler began construction of the Key West Extension of the Florida East Coast Railroad southward from Homestead in 1905. Despite destructive hurricanes in 1906, 1909, and 1910, the Key West Extension was completed in January 1912 at a cost of $49 million. With completion of Long Key Viaduct, the first bridge built on the line and the trademark of the East Coast Railroad, Flagler’s East Coast Hotel Company established the Long Key Fishing Club in 1906. This “Garden of Eden” soon became the mecca for the world’s greatest saltwater anglers.
On September 2, 1935, a hurricane swept the Florida Keys destroying the Long Key Fishing Club and ending operation of the Key West Extension.
Erected 1969 by The Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. (Marker Number F-168.)
Location. 24° 48.248′ N, 80° 50.831′ W. Marker is in Long Key, Florida, in Monroe County. Marker is on Overseas Highway (U.S. 1) 2.4 miles south of Long Key Lake Drive, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located along the Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail, south of the Long Key Townhouse Condo entry gate. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 65700 Overseas Highway, Long Key FL 33001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Highway Piers (approx. 6.9 miles away); Road and Ferry (approx. 7.2 miles away); Site of Camp Three (approx. 7˝ miles away); Triangle of History (approx. 10.1 miles away); Juan Ponce de Leon (approx. 12.2 miles away); Rafters (approx. 12.3 miles away); Spanish Treasure Fleet of 1733 (approx. 12.3 miles away); Florida East Coast Railroad Overseas Extension (approx. 12.3 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. History of Long Key.
The Long Key Fishing Club was officially formed with Zane Grey as the first president from March 1917 to 1920. The stated purpose was, "To Develop the Best and Finest Traits of Sport, To Restrict the Killing of Fish, To Educate the Inexperienced Angler by Helping Him, And To Promote Good Fellowship." For example, the club membership in 1929 was 133, and included President Herbert Hoover as an honorable member. Henry Fisher of New York City was the president. The season was from December 14 to April 15. The club was discontinued in 1935 and later reorganized by Del Layton in 1969. (Submitted on April 5, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Zane Grey and Long Key Fishing Club.
This "camp", a luxurious fishing resort which attracted famous and wealthy sportsmen, was located on the Oceanside of Long Key and included thirty some small cottages, a post office and a railroad station, a store and a large several-story wooden hotel or lodge. The accommodations and service were of the highest quality. A tunnel constructed under the roadbed connected the camp with the docks on the bay side. The Club was frequented by politicians Herbert Hoover and Franklin Roosevelt, and such wealthy notables as Andrew Mellon and William Hearst. (Submitted on April 5, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for Long Key Fishing Club.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 499 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 5, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.