Near Faunsdale in Marengo County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
St. Michael's Episcopal Churchyard
1844 - Dr. Thomas & Louisa Harrison gave acre of their Faunsdale Plantation for a log church designated Union Parish.
1852 - name changed to St. Michael’s Parish.
1855 - slave artisans Peter Lee and Joe Glasgow built Gothic Revival-style church.
1888 - church disassembled and moved to town of Faunsdale.
1932 - destroyed by tornado; much of the interior wood salvaged for new brick church building.
Northern part of churchyard has graves of slave communicants.
Oldest marked grave - Dr. Harrison - 1858.
Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1844.
Location. 32° 26.184′ N, 87° 36.542′ W. Marker is near Faunsdale, Alabama, in Marengo County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 54 and County Route 59, on the right when traveling west on County Road 54. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Faunsdale AL 36738, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of St. Michael's Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Freetown (approx. 5.2 miles away); Church of the Holy Cross (approx. 5˝ miles away); Paulling Place Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away); Green Gables (approx. 6.4 miles away); Dr. Benjamin M. Duggar (approx. 7.4 miles away); St. Andrew’s Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); Oak Grove School (approx. 8.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Faunsdale Plantation. (Submitted on April 13, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 663 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.