Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Presbyterian Church

(One Block West)

 
 
Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Pfingsten, April 6, 2014
1. Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  The oldest public building in Tallahassee. Construction was begun in 1835 and completed in 1838. Contains original slave galleries. The building was used many times as a place of refuge for women and children during Indian Wars.
 
Erected by The City of Tallahassee.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionWars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
 
Location. 30° 26.534′ N, 84° 16.856′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Park Avenue and S. Monroe Street, in the median on E. Park Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tallahassee FL 32301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leon County's American Revolutionary War Soldiers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Knott House (about 600 feet away); Trinity United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Trinity United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); The Exchange Bank Building
Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, April 6, 2014
2. Presbyterian Church
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 600 feet away); Lewis Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leon County (approx. 0.2 miles away); USS Tallahassee (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
 
Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Pfingsten, April 6, 2014
3. Presbyterian Church Marker
First Presbyterian Church of Tallahassee image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, April 6, 2014
4. First Presbyterian Church of Tallahassee
Organized in 1832
Sanctuary built in 1835-38
Renovated in 1851, 1891, 1932, 1982-86
This building is on the
National Register of Historic Places
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 513 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 17, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=73053

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 22, 2022