Near Porter in Wagoner County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
This Creek Indian school was founded by Rev. R.M. Loughridge, Presbyterian Bd. [Board] Foreign Miss. [Missions], 1848. Rev. W.S. Robertson was employed as the supt. Rebuilt by Creeks when destroyed by fire in 1880. Operated until 1907 for Freedmen.
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Daughters of American Colonists and Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 85.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Colonists, and the Oklahoma Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 35° 49.941′ N, 95° 24.153′ W. Marker is near Porter, Oklahoma, in Wagoner County. Marker is on U.S. 69, 0.4 miles north of 820th Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is at a roadside pullout. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6290 US Highway 69, Porter OK 74454, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chief Pushmataha (here, next to this Wigwam Neosho (a few steps from this marker); Oklahoma's First Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); 42nd Infantry (Rainbow) Division National Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); "The Sentry" (approx. 4½ miles away); Union Agency (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker also named Union Agency (approx. 4.6 miles away); Muskogee Nation Commemorative Stone (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Porter.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 432 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.