Van Alstyne in Grayson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church of Van Alstyne
The predecessor of this church, the first Disciples of Christ congregation in Texas, was founded during the winter of 1841-1842 at McKinney's Landing in Bowie County near the Texas-Arkansas border.
Collin McKinney, pioneer settler and Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, was the leader of the Bowie County congregation, which had worshipped informally since 1831. Between 1844 and 1846 the group moved to Liberty (later called "Mantua"), three miles southwest of here. In 1846 under McKinney and J. B. Wilmeth, the congregation was reorganized as the "Liberty Church" with eighteen members.
In 1854, the First Mantua Christian Church was built. In this early structure a rail in the center aisle separated men from women. No offering plate was passed; donations were placed on the communion table. Members constructed their own "hymn books," which doubled as souvenir and recipe books. Founders of churches in many cities, including Galveston, Sherman, and Glen Rose, were members of the Mantua church.
In 1887 the Mantua group organized the church on this site in the infant town of Van Alstyne, located on the
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7364.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1831.
Location. 33° 25.198′ N, 96° 34.6′ W. Marker is in Van Alstyne, Texas, in Grayson County. Marker is at the intersection of Fulton Street and Waco Street (Texas Highway 5), on the right when traveling west on Fulton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 South Waco Street, Van Alstyne TX 75495, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Van Alstyne (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Van Alstyne (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mantua (approx. 2.3 miles away); Coffman Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Elm Grove Cemetery (approx. 6.4 miles away); Stiff Chapel Cemetery (approx. 11˝ miles away); Grounds Cemetery (approx. 11.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Van Alstyne.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.