Auburn in DeKalb County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
"It All Started Here"
This is the last remaining building of the carriage factory that was located at East Seventh Street. This building was actually a part of the paint shop for the company. Buggies and surreys were painted in this building and later, possibly some of the very first Auburn automobiles.
The Auburn Automobile Company buildings were later built on these surrounding grounds. Follow the progression of the Auburn Automobile Company through all of the remaining buildings.
Erected 2013 by National Automotive & Truck Museum of the United States (NATMUS).
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 41° 21.336′ N, 85° 3.395′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Indiana, in DeKalb County. Marker is on Gordon M. Buehrig Place just east Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Gordon M Buehrig Place, Auburn IN 46706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Auburn Automobile Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Jacob Cuppy (approx. 0.6 miles away); DeKalb County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site Of Wesley Park's Home (approx. 0.9 miles away); Creek Chub Bait Company (approx. 4.1 miles away); First Settlement in DeKalb County Indiana 1828 (approx. 8.6 miles away); Spencerville Covered Bridge (approx. 9 miles away); Huntertown, Indiana (approx. 10.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburn.
Regarding "It All Started Here". This building was saved from destruction by
John Martin Smith, Dekalb County Historian
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2014, by Kern Butler of Auburn, Indiana. This page has been viewed 686 times since then and 147 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 28, 2014, by Kern Butler of Auburn, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.