Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bear Creek Methodist Church and Cemetery

 
 
Bear Creek Methodist Church and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, May 4, 2014
1. Bear Creek Methodist Church and Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  German immigrants settled in the area surrounding the junction of Langham and Bear creeks in the 1840s. Settlers traveled to nearby churches for Sunday services until about 1879 when seven charter members established the Bear Creek German Methodist Church. The congregation initially met in members' homes. The church was subsequently made a mission of the Rose Hill Methodist Church near Tomball.

In 1890 a small church building was erected near the Hillendahl Family Cemetery. The site proved to be poorly drained and often inaccessible, and in 1902 the congregation moved the sanctuary here on three acres donated by Fred and Katherine Brandt. A part of the acreage was laid out as a cemetery. Christine Backen's burial in 1904 was the first recorded here. The cemetery is still active and is maintained by the Addicks Bear Creek Cemetery Association.

A summer storm destroyed the sanctuary in 1915 but by the end of that year a new church building had been erected. Area flooding in 1935 resulted in the construction of the nearby Addicks Reservoir in 1940 and the subsequent removal of the church to another site about 1.7 miles south
Bear Creek Methodist Church and Cemetery & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, May 4, 2014
2. Bear Creek Methodist Church and Cemetery & Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
of here. The congregation changed its name to Addicks United Methodist Church in 1968.
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10612.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
 
Location. 29° 48.858′ N, 95° 38.711′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Highway 6 and Patterson Road, on the right when traveling north on Highway 6. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Houston TX 77084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Former Site of the Marks LH7 Ranch (approx. 3.6 miles away); LH7 Ranch (approx. 3.6 miles away); Barker Post Office (approx. 4 miles away); Gray Lodge No. 329, A.F.& A.M. (approx. 5.3 miles away); Moore Log House (approx. 5.4 miles away); Dairy (Alief) (approx. 7.7 miles away); The Schroeder Family and Hedwig Village (approx. 8 miles away); St. Peter Church (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 5, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 688 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 5, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=73450

Paid Advertisement
May. 10, 2021