Near Denver City in Yoakum County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Discovery Well in the Wasson Field
By the mid-1930s the Bennett's cattle business was declining as a result of the economic depression and a severe area drought. They were in danger of losing their property through foreclosure when oil was discovered on the ranch. The find was made on October 10, 1935 at the Ruth Bennett No. 1-678 (6 mi. NE), a well supervised by Fort Worth wildcatter Red Davidson and crews of the Honolulu Oil Company. With the discovery, the Bennetts were able to pay all claims against their land.
Increased drilling activity in the area created a “boom town” atmosphere and led to the founding of Denver City (6 mi. S) in 1939. Petroleum remains the major industry in Yoakum County, a national leader in the production of crude oil.
In 1964 Gene H. Bennett, the youngest son of L.P. and Ruth Bennett, donated this portion of the Bennett Ranch to the
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1229.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 2.954′ N, 102° 49.122′ W. Marker is near Denver City, Texas, in Yoakum County. Marker is on State Highway 214 0.1 miles south of County Route 213, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Denver City TX 79323, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yoakum County (approx. 9.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 464 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 6, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.