Near Courtland in Nicollet County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
On the Red River Oxcart Trail to Traverse des Sioux
1854–First white man to claim land–Bruce Pierce.
1855-56–Then; Christian, John & Andrew Anderson; Christian & Torger Peterson & the Jensens.
1862–The Applebaum home was the refuge for victims of the Sioux Uprising–5 died.
4 churches; Catholic, 1859, Norwegian Methodist 1860, Norwegian Lutheran 1868, & Zion Lutheran. 3 blacksmith Shops–Creamery 1905-1919.
1877–First township officers–J.H. Dorn, Andrew Jensen, Leonard Boor, Adam Epper & C. Peterson.
1879–Post office in store of Peterson & Jensen.
Erected 1976 by Nicollet County Bicentennial Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the The Spirit of ’76, America’s Bicentennial Celebration series list.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Ulm MN 56073, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brighton United Methodist Church (here, next to this marker); Courtland (approx. 5.9 miles away); New Sweden Creamery (approx. 7 miles away); Bernadotte Co-op Creamery (approx. 7.1 miles away); Bernadotte Lutheran Church Monument (approx. 7.3 miles away); Bernadotte Lutheran Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Evacuation of New Ulm (approx. 7.3 miles away); Gänseviertel (Goosetown) (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Courtland.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 429 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 7, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.