Ropesville in Hockley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1933, farmer and rancher Lee Cowan was severely injured, but before he died, he requested that he be buried on the knoll just west of town. Upon Cowan’s death, Ellwood, who owned the land, honored Cowan’s request by donating one acre for the establishment of a burial ground, creating Ropesville Cemetery. After residents
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16474.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 33° 24.733′ N, 102° 10.496′ W. Marker is in Ropesville, Texas, in Hockley County. Marker is at the intersection of South State Road (Farm to Market Road 168) and Farm to Market Road 41, on the left when traveling north on South State Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ropesville TX 79358, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Primrose School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ropesville Resettlement Project (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Ropesville Resettlement Project (approx. 1.3 miles away); Meadow Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Meadow United Methodist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); An Early Native American Resident (approx. 5˝ miles away); Meadow Depot (approx. 5˝ miles away); Brooks Blacksmith Shop (approx. 5˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ropesville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 8, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 359 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 8, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.