Wayland in Allegan County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Henika Ladies Library
Erected 1993 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1274.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Education • Women. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1899.
Location. 42° 40.38′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 149 S Main Street, Wayland MI 49348, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Welcome to Wayland (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early History of Shelbyville (approx. 5½ miles away); U.S.S. Maine Memorial (approx. 6.9 miles away); Welcome to the Village of Hopkins (approx. 6.9 miles away); Hopkins Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.9 miles away); Geib Veterans Memorial (approx. 9.2 miles away); Early History of Martin (approx. 9½ miles away); Byron Township Hall (approx. 10.4 miles away).
Regarding Henika Ladies Library. A narrative description of the building from Michigan Historic Sites Online:
The Henika Library is a one-story structure of carefully cut and dressed local fieldstone. Its main section has a high, gable roof, with the gable facing the street, and projecting from one side is a semicircular-end porch with fieldstone piers, now glassed in and incorporated into the library. The structure's styling is an eclectic combination of Richardsonian Romanesque and Colonial-inspired details. A brick rear wing was added in 1968.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 13, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.