Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Marathon in Brewster County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Peña Colorado (Red Rock)

 
 
Fort Peña Colorado (Red Rock) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, December 20, 2009
1. Fort Peña Colorado (Red Rock) Marker
Inscription.  Established in 1880 as a means of preventing Indian raids into Mexico. Raided by Apaches in 1881. Abandoned in 1893 after Western Texas had been permanently cleared of Indians.
 
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 2003.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or CastlesNative AmericansNotable Places. In addition, it is included in the Comanche Trail into Mexico, and the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series lists.
 
Location. 30° 9.202′ N, 103° 17.258′ W. Marker is in Marathon, Texas, in Brewster County. Marker is on Post Road. Located in the parking lot of Fort Peña Colorado Park, south of Marathon. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marathon TX 79842, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chambers Hotel (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Gage Hotel (approx. 4.4 miles away); Albion E. Shepard House (approx. 4½ miles away); First School House
Fort Peña Colorado (Red Rock) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, August 31, 2019
2. Fort Peña Colorado (Red Rock) Marker
(approx. 4.6 miles away); Marathon (approx. 5.1 miles away); Los Caballos (approx. 6 miles away); Colonel Lewis Given Harman (approx. 6½ miles away).
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Camp Peña Colorado, Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on January 5, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
 
Historical marker (right), and county park marker (left) image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, December 20, 2009
3. Historical marker (right), and county park marker (left)
Panorama of the cliffs after which the fort was named image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney
4. Panorama of the cliffs after which the fort was named
Works Progress Administration dam is visible in picture, lower right.
Fort Peña Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, December 20, 2009
5. Fort Peña Park Marker
Marker reads: At site of the Pena Creek Sub-Post of Fort Davis Established in 1879 to combat depredations in the Big Bend and Mexico by Indians using historic Comanche Trail. This 5-acre tract was given (1935) for enjoyment of Brewster Countians by Guy S. Combs, Nora Combs McGehee, and Lila Combs Matthew, in honor of their parents, Mr. and Mrs. D.S. Combs who acquired this land in 1904.
Works Progress Administration marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, December 20, 2009
6. Works Progress Administration marker
A small dam erected by the WPA is constructed at the springs of Fort Peña Colorado.
Display on the history of the fort image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, December 20, 2009
7. Display on the history of the fort
Fort Peña Colorado (Red Rock) Geology image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, December 2009
8. Fort Peña Colorado (Red Rock) Geology
Fort Peña Colorado Interpretive Signage image. Click for full size.
9. Fort Peña Colorado Interpretive Signage
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 5, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,899 times since then and 40 times this year. Last updated on May 14, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on January 5, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   2. submitted on October 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 5, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   8. submitted on February 20, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.   9. submitted on June 5, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 18, 2020