Whitley City in McCreary County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
McCreary County, 1912
Taken from parts of Pulaski, Wayne, and Whitley counties, it was last formed of Kentucky's 120 counties.
Named for James B. McCreary, 1838-1918. Lawyer, Col., 11th Ky. Cavalry, CSA. State legislature, 1869-75. Twice governor of Kentucky, 1875-79 and 1911-15. Delegate to International Monetary Convention, Brussels, 1892. US Congressman, 1885-97, 1903-09.
Erected 1969 by Kentucky Historical Society/Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1243.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Patriots & Patriotism • Political Subdivisions • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. 36° 43.568′ N, 84° 28.201′ W. Marker is in Whitley City, Kentucky, in McCreary County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Kentucky Route 1651) and Court Street/Geary Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Marker is located on the grounds Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Whitley City KY 42653, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Kentucky Oil Well / Martin Beaty (Beatty) (within shouting distance of this marker); Princess Cornblossom (approx. 1.9 miles away); Edward "Eddie" Ward (approx. 4.7 miles away); Tennessee / Kentucky (approx. 9.2 miles away in Tennessee); 4-H Craft Center (approx. 10 miles away); Cumberland Falls MoonBow (approx. 10.4 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 10.7 miles away); CCC at Cumberland Falls (approx. 10.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 15, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.