Near Elkmont in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Old New Garden Cemetery / New Garden Cumberland Presbyterian Church
The graves in the lower part of the cemetery are thought to be those of slaves and possible casualties of the nearby battle of Sulphur Creek Trestle fort. Col. Lathrop, the Union commander
In 1820 the New Garden congregation was organized by Rev. John Comahan at a meeting held in Robert Steele's barn. There were ten people present, several of whom were members of the Steele family.
The log church was built here on New Garden Hill in 1823, standing at the north end of this old cemetery. The building is thought to have faced north with a wagon road leading up the hill to it. The current paved road did not exist at that time, although the lower part of it may follow the original wagon road.
The land on which the church was built belonged
A school was built there, which was used until marauding Union troops tore it down and used the timber in the construction of buildings at Sulphur Trestle Fort. The congregation moved to Elkmont after 1878 and later disbanded completely.
Erected 2011 by the Limestone County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. 34° 54.374′ N, 86° 57.454′ W. Marker is near Elkmont, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is at the intersection of New Garden Road and New Garden Road (County Route 98), on the right when traveling south on New Garden Road. Marker and cemetery are located where short north and south spurs of New Garden Road from Hays Mill Road combine to form New Garden Road running east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkmont AL 35620, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured Battle of Sulphur Creek Trestle (approx. 1.8 miles away); Sulphur Creek Trestle, 1864 (approx. 1.8 miles away); Limestone County's First High School / The Delmore Brothers (approx. 1.8 miles away); Elkmont, Alabama / Tenn. & Ala. Central Railroad (approx. 1.8 miles away); Elkmont Pride: Family-School-Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Commerce (approx. 1.8 miles away); Downtown Scenes (approx. 1.8 miles away); Alabama Fork Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkmont.
Also see . . . Limestone County Historical Society. (Submitted on May 19, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 736 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 19, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 2. submitted on January 20, 2020, by Matt Morring of Harvest, Alabama. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 19, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.