Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old City Cemetery
(Old Methodist Cemetery)
— Lynchburg’s Oldest African-American Burial Ground —
This has always been a public cemetery, open to all citizens and “strangers” regardless of race or class. In fact, until White Rock Cemetery opened in the late 1880s, this was the only burial ground in the City open to black residents. Even as late as 1925, nine out of ten African Americans who died in Lynchburg were interred in the City Cemetery.
Before the end of the Civil War and Emancipation, virtually all of Lynchburg's enslaved and free blacks were buried here, in sections designated specifically for “colored” persons. Although slave-owners usually arranged and paid for their slaves’ burials, they allowed slaves special freedoms to attend funerals, conduct their own funeral ceremonies, and mark their own gravesites. The slave funerals held here were reported to be some of the largest gatherings of people of color in antebellum Lynchburg.
Because of poor municipal management and record-keeping, and the resulting practice of overburying, Lynchburg City Council closed most of the Cemetery to further burials in 1925 and again in 1965, both times amid much controversy.
(upper left) A kneeling angel watches over the grave of little Emmett Hamilton Jefferson (1907-1909), a two year-old African-American child. Jefferson’s monument is the only statuary gravemarker in the Cemetery. Section 203
(lower left) Amelia Perry Pride (1857-1932), seated, with residents of the Dorchester Home for elderly black women. Pride and other alumnae of Hampton Institute established the Home in 1897. Buried in section 104
(upper center) A symbolically broken fife adorns the headstone of Blind Billy (c.1805-1855), a slave musician who played the fife for military parades and private parties. Section 102
(upper center) Cast-iron gravemarker (c.1900) of an African-American member of the Order of the Eastern Star fraternal society. Burial insurance was an important benefit of many such groups. Section 103
(upper right) Virginia Cabell Randolph (1876-1962) organized a popular “community house” for balck children at 812 Eighth Street. Buried in section 102
(lower right) Phillip Fisher Morris (c.1852-1923) was pastor of Court Street and Eighth Street Baptisit Churches and founder and first president of Virginia Theological Seminary and College. Buried in section 102
Erected 2003 by African American Heritage Trail of Central Virginia.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities marker series.
Location. 37° 24.942′ N, 79° 9.494′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Taylor Street and 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Taylor Street, Lynchburg VA 24504, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Old City Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); The Old Brick Wall (a few steps from this marker); Pest House Medical Museum (a few steps from this marker); Sinister Activities (within shouting distance of this marker); The Carl Porter Cato Rose Collection (within shouting distance of this marker); Gravestone Carvers in the Old City Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Gravemarkers in the Old City Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Cemetery Caretakers (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynchburg.
Also see . . . Old City Cemetery. The Oldest Public Cemetery in Virginia Still in Use Today - Central Virginia's Most Unique Public Garden (Submitted on May 27, 2014.)
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
More. Search the internet for Old City Cemetery.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 576 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.