Near Madison in Jefferson County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
College developed 1854 from Eleutherian Institute, founded 1848. Thomas Craven and anti-slavery advocates in the area created and supported the institution for education of students of all races and genders. This structure, built in the 1850s for classes and a chapel, was purchased for restoration 1990. Designated National Historic Landmark 1997.
Eleutherian provided one of earliest educational opportunities for women and African-Americans before Civil War. The Underground Railroad refers to a widespread network of diverse people in the nineteenth century who aided slaves escaping to freedom from the southern U.S.
Erected 2004 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology, DNR, African American Landmarks Committee of Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana, Inc. (Marker Number 39.2004.3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • Education. In Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list.
Location. 38° 49.895′ N, 85° 31.011′ W. Marker is near Madison, Indiana, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from State Road 250 0.1 miles east of N. Rector Road (County Road N700W), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6927 W State Route 250, Madison IN 47250, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lyman Hoyt (approx. 0.2 miles away); John H. and Sarah Tibbets (approx. 0.3 miles away); Morgan's Troops Camped Here (approx. 3.9 miles away); Morgan's Raid (approx. 3.9 miles away); Dupont: Fourth Night in Indiana (approx. 4 miles away); Gen. John Morgan's Troops (approx. 4.3 miles away); Morgan Finds a Hoosier Oasis (approx. 6.3 miles away); Madison's Riverfront / Underground Railroad (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
More about this marker. The marker is part of the Indiana Freedom Trails, a State historical marker program dedicated especially to the interpretation of the Underground Railroad in Indiana. The program has three purposes: “to document and interpret Underground Railroad history in Indiana; to bring attention to that history with a visual reminder of the importance of those people, places, and events which constitute the history and context of the Underground Railroad in Indiana; and to assist the many individuals and groups – especially Indiana Freedom Trails – working to preserve the Underground Railroad history of Indiana through a heightened awareness of their existence and needs.”
Also see . . .
1. IHB Annotations. The Indiana Historical Bureau provides annotations for the text of the marker on their website. (Submitted on May 27, 2014.)
2. Eleutherian College Classroom and Chapel Building. From the National Park Service website. (Submitted on May 27, 2014.)
3. Eleutherian College. Official website of Historic Eleutherian College, Inc. (Submitted on May 27, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 456 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 27, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.