Tinbridge Hill in Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Old Brick Wall
Most of the wall was demolished by the City of Lynchburg as it deteriorated through the years, but the wall’s foundation is still visible in certain areas.
The 800-foot portion of wall still standing today was built in 1867-1868 with funds raised jointly by the Ladies Memorial Association and the City of Lynchburg. It divides the “old” antebellum graveyard from the “new” twentieth-century additions to the Cemetery.
The restoration of the remaining wall began in 2001 and one and one-half years to complete. The project cost $130,000, all of which was raised by the Southern Memorial Association from private contributions.
(left) Historic wall leveled along 4th street 1955
(right) Collapsed wall along Confederate Section 1971
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 37° 24.948′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Taylor Street, Lynchburg VA 24501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pest House Medical Museum (here, next to this marker); Old City Cemetery (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Old City Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Sinister Activities (a few steps from this marker); The Carl Porter Cato Rose Collection (within shouting distance of this marker); Gravestone Carvers in the Old City Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Gravemarkers in the Old City Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Cemetery Caretakers (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tinbridge Hill.
Also see . . . Old City Cemetery. The oldest public cemetery in Virginia still in use today - central Virginia's most unique public garden. (Submitted on May 28, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 503 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.