New Ulm in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
U.S. Post Office
— Historic Downtown New Ulm —
The federal government erected the post office building in 1910, designed by James Knox Taylor, the supervising architect of the United States Treasury. Although the city's postal service began in 1856, it had been located in rented space until construction of this building.
Congress approved the funds for a new post office in 1906, and the site was purchased within a few months. However, the project ground to a halt when local residents complained that the initial drawings "showed a lack of architectural beauty." In response, the budget was increased from $30,000 to $50,000 and Taylor's office drafted new plans. Construction began in early 1909 and the new post office opened in May 1910.
The building, with its Germanic-influenced steep-pitched roof and stepped gable ends, quickly became one of the city's most recognizable landmarks. A 1914 visitor noted, "The Federal Building at New Ulm differs so much from the average building that post office inspectors have been known to give up in despair trying to find the post office. It is said to be the first instance on the part of the government where a deviation
The post office moved to a new location in 1976 and the building became the home of the Brown County Historical Society in 1984.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Communications. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately 📭 series list.
Location. 44° 18.777′ N, 94° 27.607′ W. Marker is in New Ulm, Minnesota, in Brown County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street and Broadway Street (Minnesota Highway 15 / 68) on Center Street. Marker is to the right of the Center Street entrance of the Brown County Historical Society & Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 North Broadway, New Ulm MN 56073, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Guardians of the Past (within shouting distance of this marker); The George Kuhlman House (within shouting distance of this marker); Somsen Hitching Post (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brown County Bank (about 300 feet away); Arbeiter Hall (about 400 feet away); Boesch, Hummel, and Maltzahn Block (about 400 feet away); City Meat Market (about 400 feet away); Two Battles of New Ulm (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Ulm.
More about this marker. caption: United States Post Office at the end of construction. Images from the Brown County Historical Society
Also see . . . Brown County Historical Society. (Submitted on May 29, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 482 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 29, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.