Bloomington in Monroe County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Kappa Alpha Psi
Excluded from social events at Indiana University, black male students founded and incorporated Kappa Alpha Nu in 1911. One of the earliest black national social fraternities established in the U.S. One goal was to expand to other schools to help members attain high “intellectual, moral and social worth.” Name changed to Kappa Alpha Psi, 1915.
In 1961, over 600 members attended the dedication of this building as the Elder Watson Diggs Memorial, to house the fraternity’s Alpha (first) Chapter. Fraternity sold house in 2005 to Indiana University Foundation. As of 2008, Alpha chapter is active on this campus and more than 700 undergraduate and alumni chapters have been chartered worldwide.
Erected 2008 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Indiana University. (Marker Number 53.2008.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Civil Rights • Education Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list.
Location. 39° 10.74′ N, 86° 30.794′ W. Marker is in Bloomington, Indiana, in Monroe County. Marker is on E. 17th Street west of N. Jordan Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1469 E 17th St, Bloomington IN 47408, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hoagy Carmichael (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Colored School (approx. 1.3 miles away); Monroe County's Carnegie Library (approx. 1.3 miles away); Monroe County / Bloomington World War II Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); G.A.R. Soldiers of All Wars Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Civil War Memorial Cannon (approx. 1.4 miles away); Monroe County W.W. II Honor Roll (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bloomington.
More about this marker. Marker is located in front of the Indiana University Police Department which now occupies the fraternity house. Outlines of the Kappa Alpha Psi sign are still visible on the front wall between the second and third stories.
Also see . . . IHB Annotations. The Indiana Historical Bureau provides annotations for the text of the marker on their website. (Submitted on June 3, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 3, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 532 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 3, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.