Tybee Island in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
A lighthouse on Tybee was one of the first public structures in Georgia. Completed in 1736 by William Blithman of cedar piles and brickwork, its 90 foot height made it the loftiest in America. Destroyed in a storm, it was replaced by another built by Thomas Sumner in 1742 which Oglethorpe called "much the best Building of that kind in America." It was almost entirely rebuilt in 1757 by Cornelius McCarty and James Weyms. In 1773 John Mulryne built the third lighthouse on a third site. The Mulryne lighthouse forms the base of the present structure, making part of it of Colonial construction. In 1791 Georgia ceded it with 5 acres to the Federal government. Partially destroyed by the Irish Jasper Greens of Savannah during Union occupation of the island, it was repaired and today is one of the famous lighthouses on the Eastern seaboard.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 25-59.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Waterways & VesselsGeorgia Historical Society, and the Lighthouses series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1736.
Location. 32° 1.333′ N, 80° 50.679′ W. Marker is in Tybee Island, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Meddin Drive, on the left when traveling north. Marker is on Fort Screven, between Gulick and Taylor Streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tybee Island GA 31328, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tybee Island (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Sims Morgan (within shouting distance of this marker); The Loss of the HMS Otranto October 1918 (within shouting distance of this marker); H.M.S. Otranto and Fort Screven (within shouting distance of this marker); Tybee Island Wade-Ins (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Tybee Island Wade-Ins (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Henry Sims Morgan (about 300 feet away); Fort Screven Bakery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tybee Island.
Also see . . . Lighthouses of Georgia~Tybee Island Light. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry (Submitted on April 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,403 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 28, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on July 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.