Auburn in Lee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
— A Memorial to Dr. Charles Allen Cary (1861-1935) —
Dr. Charles Cary, a native of Iowa and graduate of Iowa State in 1887, came to Auburn in 1892 and taught the first class of veterinary medicine at Alabama Polytechnic Institute. He has been called the Father of Veterinary Medicine in the South. In 1896, he helped to establish the first meat and milk inspection system in the United States. Named the first Alabama State Veterinarian in 1905, Dr. Cary became the dean of the newly formed College of Veterinary Medicine at Auburn (API) in 1907, the first in the South. Innovative campaigns to eradicate bovine tuberculosis and Texas tick fever were just a few of Dr. Cary's accomplishments, as well as work with brucellosis. He was President of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Executive Secretary of the Alabama Veterinary Medical Association, Alabama Livestock Association and United States Livestock Sanitary Association.
Erected 2007 by the Auburn Heritage Association and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission with support from the College of Veterinary Medicine Centennial Club and the Alabama Veterinary Medical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Science & Medicine.
Location. 32° 36.249′ N, 85° 29.389′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Alabama, in Lee County. Marker is on West Thach Concourse 0.1 miles west of Miller Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Max Adams Morris / Max Adams Morris Drill Field (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sigma Alpha Epsilon (approx. ¼ mile away); Auburn University (approx. 0.3 miles away); Auburn WWI Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Desegregation at Auburn (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Lathe (approx. 0.4 miles away); Auburn University Chapel (approx. half a mile away); Auburn - Alabama (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburn.
Also see . . . More about the architecture.. (Submitted on June 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.