Acton Vale in Acton MRC, Quebec — Central Canada (French-Canadian)
Acton Vale Station
Erected 1986 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 45° 38.897′ N, 72° 33.82′ W. Marker is in Acton Vale, Quebec, in Acton MRC. Marker can be reached from Boulay 0.1 kilometers east of St-André (Quebec Route 139), on the left when traveling east. The marker is located next Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 960, Boulay, Acton Vale, Quebec J0H 1A0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 14 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Le Presbytère / The Rectory (approx. 10.1 kilometers away); La Colonisation d'Upton / The Colonization of Upton (approx. 10.2 kilometers away); Le Magasin Général Upton / The Upton General Store (approx. 10.2 kilometers away); Des ormes et des hommes / Elms and Men (approx. 13.4 kilometers away).
Regarding Acton Vale Station. HISTORY: Built by the Grand Trunk Railway, the superb Acton Vale station is based on a standard plan for all stations built by the GTR along its Montreal-Portland route between 1895 and 1905. The Grand Trunk, which acquired this line from the St. Lawrence and Atlantic Railway in 1853, was Quebec’s first international railway and the first to cross the Eastern Townships. By 1919, the GTR was overextended and bankrupt, and four years later, it was absorbed by Canadian National Railway. When passenger traffic on the line declined in the second half of the 20th
century, Acton Vale’s station, like many stations in the Townships, was closed.
DESCRIPTION: 1 storey. Clapboard. Built in the neo-Queen Anne style.
(text adapted from "Railway Stations of the Eastern Townships" by Matthew Farfan)
Also see . . . Acton Vale Railway Station - National Historic Site. (Submitted on July 24, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 1,250 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on June 18, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 1, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.