École HYATT School
The settlement of Milby dates back to the 1790s. This Hyatt One-Room Schoolhouse was built on land originally granted to Loyalist Abraham Hyatt Sr., located in the Hyatt Settlement, now known as Milby. Two brothers, Cornelius and Abraham Jr. settled here while another brother Gilbert settled first at Capelton and later moved to Lower Forks in 1796, then called Hyatt's Mills, known to-day as Sherbrooke.
Loyalist Cornelius Hyatt operated the Grist Mill and Saw Mill at the river, just across the highway and near where the Salmon & Moe's Rivers converge. The boards for building this school would have most likely come from his Mill. Abraham Jr. operated the General Store/Trading Post.
Our earliest Notarial Records show that the school was in use in November, 1822. This is one, if not the oldest building in the area. During its restoration, the schoolhouse was moved onto a new foundation, part of the main structure rebuilt and the entire building stabilized with a steel beam. The classroom still holds the markings of where the original desks were screwed to the wide spruce board flooring and the pine wainscoting on the wall indicates
The Hyatt School, known as "District No. 2, Township of Ascott" was restored as the prime project for members of Little Forks Branch of The United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada through Patrimoine-Ascott-Heritage.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1822.
Location. 45° 18.792′ N, 71° 49.588′ W. Marker is in Waterville, Quebec, in La Région-Sherbrookoise. Marker is on Chemin McVety, 0.1 kilometers west of Quebec Route 147, on the right when traveling west. Located just a stone's throw away from the beautifully-restored Milby covered bridge (c.1873). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waterville, Quebec J0B 3H0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 13 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Louis Stephen St-Laurent (approx. 7.9 kilometers away); Sir Alexander Tilloch Galt (approx. 11.8 kilometers away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 401 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on June 18, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 16, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.